Secure Login and Online Banking Security *
At BMO Harris Bank, we're committed to your security. We want you to feel safe and confident knowing your identity and account information is protected.
- Secure login lets you know you are at the valid web site
- It's free for your protection when you access your BMO Harris accounts
- Setting up secure login is just 3 easy steps and takes minutes to complete
- Your User ID and Password will remain the same
For additional assistance, please contact us directly at 1-888-340-2265.
- First, it helps you recognize that you are at the valid web site and not a fraudulent site. We display your picture and personal phrase each time you sign on so you know it is safe to enter personal information.
- Secondly, secure login provides us additional verification to ensure that it is really you accessing your account information.
Secure login will allow us to recognize computers/mobile you commonly use. If we don't recognize the computer/mobile device you sign on from, we will take additional steps to verify your identity by asking you to answer confirmation questions.
- You will choose three confirmation questions that are unique to you
- Choose questions and answers that you will easily remember
- We will display two of your three questions only if we don't recognize your computer/mobile device.
- For your protection, these questions are selected at random from the ones you have selected.
During the setup process, we will ask you if you'd like to register your computer/mobile device. We suggest that you register computers/mobile devices you commonly use.
Computers/mobile devices are registered using a cookie. A cookie is a small, secure text file that BMO Harris saves to your browser. Each time you sign on from that computer/mobile device, we will recognize the cookie and match it with your BMO Harris Online Banking User ID to verify your identity. If you sign on from a computer/mobile device that is not registered, you will be asked to answer your confirmation questions for additional verification.
- You may register more than one computer/mobile device
- We recommend you don't register public computers, such as those located in libraries, airports or coffee shops
- If you have multiple users on one computer/mobile device, each user may register the computer/mobile device
- If you use multiple browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Firefox, you will need to register each browser individually
- If your Internet browser doesn't allow permanent cookies, you can change your cookie settings using the instructions provided in the Internet browser's help file
Online Banking Security
In addition to providing secure login access to your online accounts directly from the BMO Harris home page, we also offer:
- Strong encryption technology to help ensure that data passing between your computer/mobile device and our web server is secure
- Session time-outs after 10 minutes of inactivity
- Secured firewalls
We do what we can to provide you with a safe and secure online environment, but we also need you to take the appropriate measures to secure your personal computing environment. It's important to consider that many public access computers may have malware.
Malicious software (malware) is designed to break into or damage a computer system and can be installed on your computer without your consent. Malware is very common on the Internet and typically spreads through links on infected websites, instant messaging programs and email. Beware of offers for "free email virus protection" or a "no cost Internet accelerator" or other such enticements or you may end up inadvertently revealing personal or financial information.
In many cases, malware will monitor your Internet activity including everything you type on your computer -- your card numbers, account numbers and Passwords as well as the personal and confidential information you provide when you use otherwise secure online applications (e.g. loan applications, mortgage applications and online account opening applications).
In some cases, you may be able to detect malware on your computer because of unusual computer behaviors like slow response time, programs opening/closing on their own or numerous pop-ups while using the Internet. Most of the time, however, malware will be virtually undetectable. Your best defense against malware is to install anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall software on your computer and keep these programs up-to-date.
* Secure login procedures do not apply to BMO Harris Online BankingSM for Small Business or BMO Harris Invest Online. These systems utilize SecurID tokens and Trusteer.
Download free security software for your browser today. In order to help protect you from online fraud, we offer a free download of Trusteer’s Rapport software.