Being well prepared for any interview is key to keeping your nerves under control. It's also essential to appearing confident and pulled together. Here are some tips to help you prepare for your next interview:
- Know yourself. Think about examples you can share that will substantiate the information that you have included in your resume and will highlight the skills and experiences that you can bring to the position.
- Know the company and the role you are applying for; you can become acquainted with the company by reviewing their website.
- Listen carefully. Ask for clarification as needed. Make notes if this is helpful.
- Express your thoughts in a clear and organized manner; avoid jargon or slang.
- Be thoughtful about your tone of voice and how quickly you speak.
- Come prepared with questions.
Telephone interviews are a common first step in the interview process. Here are some tips to help you during the telephone interview.
- Be sure you have your resume for reference.
- Know the name of the person you will be talking to, your notes and questions.
- Have a pen and paper or other note-taking system to record notes, new information, phone numbers and names.